Tuesday, December 8, 2015

The Pigpen Cipher


As I have heard - and have been told many, many times, research is a good thing when you want to write a novel. Most of the time, I go, "Pfft, yeah right," and plung right into building my story and writing it.

Recently, I have been sucked into the Sherlock fandom, though I've only watched the first three episodes and don't have the money to buy any more through the Google Play store on my phone. The only reason I think I caved and started watching the show was because I kept hearing that it was very well done, and that I heard that Steven Moffat had something to do with it. I like what Moffat did to Doctor Who, another one of my favourite shows, so curiosity eventually got the better of me, especially after I saw production photos of Sherlock and John Watson dressed up as their Victorian counterparts.

Anyway, I'm getting to my point. On Sherlock's website, http://www.thescienceofdeduction.co.uk/, based on the website Sherlock has on the show, the world's only consulting detective has been being plauged with hidden messages, two of which I couldn't even hope to answer despite the hints that were hidden in the message.

I was finally able to solve the third message, the most current one, which was comprised of a series of shapes and dots. This is where the Pigpen Cipher legend I have displayed on this post comes in.

"SHERLOCK I HAVE FOUND YOU."
 
Talk about ominous, or what? Makes me wonder if Mr. Anonymous is after Sherlock for more than amusement through bugging him...
 
Anyway, I've come to alert you to the wonders of a cipher I've never heard before! If I can ever get my behind in gear, I might just get to use this cipher in a mystery novel before I die. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ranger's Apprentice: The Battle for Skandia, a review

The Battle for Skandia . John Flanagan. 2006. Puffin Books. Pages: 294. Price: USD $8.99/$11.99 CAN. Setting: Skandia. ISBN 0142413402. [S...