Tuesday, July 3, 2018

A Century of Books Quarterly Review

I have been stupidly, stupidly busy since I wrote the first Quarterly Review. I blame the fact that I poured all the attention I had into finish a leadership course that followed me out of college—thankfully I finished it! As of the 30th of June, I would have been officially been marked by the officials of my school as Graduated! I have to keep an eye out for my diploma, which should be arriving in my mail soon.

On top of that, I worked through my Digital Media Practicum at my county's Administration Building as a Communications Intern. Went and lost my swipe card twice, lol, but managed to find it before I had to say goodbye when I finished the 125 minimum hours that I needed to do in order to officially finish the Practicum.

I have done a lot since the last quarterly, wow.

Anyway, I've only read two books toward the Century of Books Challenge I'm doing since I last wrote about it. I'm hoping that I will have read more by the time I update again, so here's to hoping!

I'm currently reading a book that will fit nicely into the year 1977.




1948

King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian by Marguerite Henry – He was named "Sham" for the sun, this golden-red stallion born in the Sultan of Morocco's stone stables. Upon his heel was a small white spot, the symbol of speed. But on his chest was the symbol of misfortune. Although he was swift as the desert winds, Sham's pedigree would be scorned all his life by cruel masters and owners.

This is the classic story of Sham and his friend, the stable boy Agba. Their adventures take them from the sands of the Sahara to the royal courts of France, and finally to the green pastures and stately homes of England. For Sham was the renowned "Godolphin Arabian" whose blood flows through the veins of almost every superior Thoroughbred. Sham's speed—like his story—has become legendary.



2004

Thunder from the Sea by Joan Hiatt Harlow – It's 1929 and thirteen-year-old Tom Campbell has always wanted a real family with a real house and a dog of his very own. Since he was three years old, the only home he has ever known has been the Mission orphanage.

When he is sent to live and work with fisherman Enoch and his wife, Tom finally sees his dream within reach. And when he rescues a Newfoundland dog in the middle of a terrifying squall, Tom feels as if both he and the dog, which he names Thunder, have found a place to call home at last.

But when Enoch's wife becomes pregnant and it looks like Thunder's owner might be found, Tom's wonderful new world is turned upside down. Will the Murrays still want Tom? And will Tom be forced to give up his beloved Thunder?

Total Books Read for Challenge: 6
Months Left Until End of Challenge: 11

I'm slackin' XP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ranger's Apprentice: The Battle for Skandia, a review

The Battle for Skandia . John Flanagan. 2006. Puffin Books. Pages: 294. Price: USD $8.99/$11.99 CAN. Setting: Skandia. ISBN 0142413402. [S...