Saturday, July 4, 2015

A So-So Day



Such is the story of my life (thanks for the visual aid, Toothless).

I woke up this morning at 7:59, a minute before the time I had set my alarm to wake me up at. And for a while before that, I had been aware of my surroundings, even as my body slept on, meaning my brain was ready to go, ready to write, long before my body was.

And even when I managed to surface from the depths of sleep, it took me at least thirty minutes to keep my eyes from closing shut on me - thus, I didn't manage to leave my bed until almost nine in the morning. I was mad at that, but I wasn't allowed to dwell on it as I rushed to get my morning routine finished.

I searched through my closet for a light sweater, since mornings can still be a little chill here with the breeze and the almost dried-up dew on the grass (which reminds me, I really need to stop going on those walks without socks on - the grass and clover is long enough to cut at my ankles). On my walk it felt like there were lead weights tied to my arms and legs, and I ended up dragging my feet most of the way as I peered through the fog that clouded my mind. I really need to start going to bed earlier so that I can wake up earlier.

I didn't get to start writing today until it was after three in the afternoon, and thus have only written a few hundred words for my NaNoWriMo novel today. My current wordcount is 5,225, and according to my stats I need to reach 6,451 before midnight if I want to be able to finish the novel by the end of the month.

By the way, the novel is called "By Diadem's Light", and it's the first in a series of Science Fiction/Mystery novels I plan on writing. Right now, it feels like I'm rushing the story along, making the mistake of making my protagonist, Estelle Emperatriz Gael De Sauveterre (there is a reason why she has two middle names - the answer? her mother was a bit eccentric) start searching for answers to the mystery in chapter two - and chapter one wasn't very long! I my-as-well have started the mystery with the very first word of the first chapter! :P

But there are alway's rewrites!

Well, this post was meant to be a little update for whoever comes across this blog. I really should be getting back to writing.

~ Mikaela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ranger's Apprentice: The Battle for Skandia, a review

The Battle for Skandia . John Flanagan. 2006. Puffin Books. Pages: 294. Price: USD $8.99/$11.99 CAN. Setting: Skandia. ISBN 0142413402. [S...